The Artist-in-Residence program at Asheville BookWorks is designed to give practicing book artists the time, space and materials to complete a project and further their work. Artists receive a stipend of up to $1000.
Residencies are available to emerging, mid-career and established artists. Collaborators (for example: a book artist and a writer) may submit an application together for a joint project proposal.
- Access to BookWorks studio and equipment as needed and outlined in the application.
- Availability of production support from Interns and Volunteers
- Connection and exposure to a growing Western NC Book Arts Community and proximity to the Asheville Arts Community.
- Opportunities for supplemental income, for example, teaching a class at BookWorks.
Artists chosen will:
- Be responsible for keeping facilities and equipment clean and undertake regular maintenance and organizational tasks necessary for upkeep and communal studio use.
- Give a public presentation about their work, show a willingness .
- Be responsible for assessment and selection of Interns, if needed, with assistance from the BookWorks Director.
- Optional but desired: Donate 1 – 2 copies of project to Asheville BookWorks for archive and educational purposes.
Criteria for Selection:
- Artist merit and originality of the project.
- Clarity of artistic goals expressed in project description and artist statement.
- Soundness and feasibility of the project budget.
- Technical expertise with equipment required to produce edition
Download Residency Application (pdf format): bookworksResidencyApp